Monday 16 April 2012

Central St Martins and Easter.

 Following my printing dreams led me to sign up for a computers for digital print course at St Martins over the Easter holiday.  The new space is AMAZING! a converted grainary building that is literally a two minute walk up the road from Kings Cross. Everything about this place was inspiring... anyway on to print.


Central Atrium with amazing light
Part of the old grainary building. 
I am essentially a screen printer at heart, I love pulling a screen and seeing inks, colors and textures being created. But it's hard to ignore what digital prints have done for the industry. 
We were lucky, in a class that could have had ten, we had four. We also struck gold with the teacher
Laura Baker, http://www.lauraberens.com/index.html was an amazing teacher. A teacher, a working creative artist (scarves and accessories for sale at Liberties and the V&A shop) all this while writing a book about laser cutting. She was inspirational and very practical. My favorite part was how she taught. She gave each of us what we wanted the course, an amazing feat for any teacher to do. 


What have I learned from this? quite simply how to create on a computer and send it off to the printers! I am looking forward to seeing my first work on print. The idea that this can be so simple (no screen, no ink, no mess) is still hard for me to wrap my mind around. One step closer to my dream of print on fabric. Deep breath as I start another term of teaching and trying to create more... 


No comments:

Post a Comment